Xbox One Forum

Awareness of gamers

This is a discussion on Awareness of gamers within the Xbox One Chat forums, part of the Xbox One Forums category; So I just read this article ( https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb.../1100-6449950/ ) and had some questions while/after reading it. I had 2 questions. What were your questions, if ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By XDonny
  • 1 Post By TeknoBlast
  • 1 Post By XDonny

Thread: Awareness of gamers

l337
    is What I am, so I disappear

Gamertag
    XDonny
    Member #
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Awareness of gamers

So I just read this article (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb.../1100-6449950/) and had some questions while/after reading it.

I had 2 questions. What were your questions, if you had any after reading it, about the article or the study conducted?

If someone had a similair phrasing of one or both my questions I'll share mine or after a couple of replies to hear your thoughts.
    animes, games, horrors & foodz ^.^

Youtube channel: No game, No gain but I don't do anything with it (for now... or maybe ever again).
    If you wanna see my active articles on AppyGamer, follow me. My profile is 'Koochi Monkey'. If you search the rankings I'm currently position number 11.

pwned
    This user has no status.

Gamertag
    Sorethumbed
    Member #
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    No real surprises on the 'awareness' front. those of us who (ab)use forums tend to have higher awareness compared to the general populace. I once played a game with a guy who didn't know what console HE was playing on but to be fair, it was his son's console.

On the digital front, on PC I buy digitally exclusively and on console I would also (I DO mainly) buy digital but we really need to get closer to pricing parity for me to do so on console.
    My first game controller had six numbered sides

Super Moderator
    is Gaming Addict

Gamertag
    TeknoBlast
    Member #
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Just to be fair, there's no type of marketing yet for the Scorpio since all we have concerning info is the HW specs. There's no price point and release date announced, nor do we even know what the thing looks like. All we know is that the air vent will be in the rear rather than the top.

I really hope that Microsoft markets the Scorpio in a massive way. I barely see any marketing right now with the current systems and I hope it doesnt stay this way with the Scorpio.

Twitter: @TeknoBlast
    YouTube: TeknoBlast
    Mixer: TeknoBlast

l337

Gamertag
    XDonny
    Member #
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Okay, so enough time has passed so I'll give you my questions. I did like your post @Sorethumbed xD he didn't knew what console he played on xD. And indeed, your right @TeknoBlast .

The reason I named this thread the way I did was to trick the readers. This wasn't really about the Scorpio (except that the article's name mentioned it, but based on the Nielsen study, there have been like 5 articles that I've seen, all covering a different aspect), but about the article.

So my first question is about the awareness of consoles.
    This first pic shows the general population above 13 years old.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByXbox One Forums1495136791.052727.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  44.5 KB
    Nothing really surprising here. I expected high on X1/PS4 and lower on new one.

But this one... This graph is gamers...
    Name:  ImageUploadedByXbox One Forums1495136866.618598.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  72.6 KB
    What kind of 9% US (this is a US study) 'gamers' have never heard of any of these consoles. It doesn't matter if you're a pc elitest or a die hard handhelder... It's almost impossible as a gamer to not have heard of any of these consoles XD.

My second question is about the article itself... It shows that the study was done between January-March. Nothing wrong with that except that it's quite amazing that this study also took 2 consoles (scorpio & switch) which weren't advertised really and decided to write an article about the low awareness of the Scorpio. If it was a little segment in the article discussing how MS can up awareness, alright. But not to write a whole article about a console that made a video debut last year and nothing else. That's just weird journalism in my eyes.

So now you've seen my two questions. What do you think about them/the article?

Youtube channel: No game, No gain but I don't do anything with it (for now... or maybe ever again).
    If you wanna see my active articles on AppyGamer, follow me. My profile is 'Koochi Monkey'. If you search the rankings I'm currently position number 11.

pwned
    This user has no status.

Gamertag
    Sorethumbed
    Member #
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Lots of 'journalists' in the gaming industry write rubbish, it comes with the territory. There is also a 'It's really cool to hate on Microsoft' this gen so no surprises that a journo would write an article that tries to put MS in a slightly negative vein. It's like the guy who writes for one of the newspapers here who comments on Playstation Plus and Games with gold and occasionally 'scores' which month is best and olyl runs his 'which is best' when in his opinion PSP is the 'winner'. LOL he hasn't run that one very often in the last 8 months or so. Then there's his ' Sony have just announced xxx and it's a big problem for Xbox' articles. Nothing should surprise or bother you about what journos write. They are there to generate clicks.
    My first game controller had six numbered sides

l337

Gamertag
    XDonny
    Member #
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorethumbed View Post
    There is also a 'It's really cool to hate on Microsoft' this gen so no surprises that a journo would write an article that tries to put MS in a slightly negative vein.
    Lolz this gen? All gens have had that. This time it's just at it's worst so far. They keep on hammering on the same things. But I don't take real interest in journalists. I take what they write too personal sometimes, but I like it that way. But sometimes, as is this time, they really just write clickbait cause you wanna see what the article actually says.
    Sorethumbed likes this.

Super Moderator
    is Gaming Addict

Gamertag
    TeknoBlast
    Member #
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    What I hate the most about these so-called gaming journalist, they cant seem to let go of E3 2013. They go on and on about it as if that still applies today. The Xbox One now is completely different from 2013 to what we have today.....and for the better. Somehow, they are still so butt hurt about 2013, that they cant let it go.

Sorethumbed likes this.
    Twitter: @TeknoBlast
    YouTube: TeknoBlast
    Mixer: TeknoBlast

l337

Gamertag
    XDonny
    Member #
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeknoBlast View Post
    What I hate the most about these so-called gaming journalist, they cant seem to let go of E3 2013. They go on and on about it as if that still applies today. The Xbox One now is completely different from 2013 to what we have today.....and for the better. Somehow, they are still so butt hurt about 2013, that they cant let it go.

This is one of those things I'm referring to. It wasn't even materialized but they are still talking about the idea. They probably don't have a lot of points they can exploit for articles
    Sorethumbed likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links