Xbox One Forum

Stream movies via smb

This is a discussion on Stream movies via smb within the Xbox One Chat forums, part of the Xbox One Forums category; Hi Is there any app on Xbox one that can stream 1080p mkv mp4 m2ts files from my Windows 7 via smb. My PC is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stream movies via smb

n00b
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stream movies via smb

Hi

Is there any app on Xbox one that can stream 1080p mkv mp4 m2ts files from my Windows 7 via smb. My PC is in separate room from my Xbox and TV but I have good Wi-Fi with plenty of bandwidth.

I don't want to use dlna type apps like Plex. I've tried those (not on Xbox) and my conclusion is they suck hard. Often requires conversion and transcoding. Loss of quality. Yuck. The whole thing is a complicated mess. I just want a capable media player that can stream most media files via smb.

On android, bsplayer can do it. In addition, I can use a file explorer like ES player that does the streaming and a separate media player like bsplayer or mxplayer that does the playback. Since the Xbox is capable of playing Blu-ray and streaming Netflix and so forth, it has very good codec support. Surely it can handle what my tablet can; just a matter of app support.

Is this doable. I googled but seems all the solutions mention using some kind of dlna server and on the fly conversion and transcoding. Eek, no. My PC is old and noisy and crotchety and not up to that. I need a client side solution.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    is Gaming Addict

Gamertag
    TeknoBlast
    Member #
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    My set up is like this.

DLINK Wireless Router (media room)
    --have a BuffaloTech NAS connected directly into my router.
    --NAS has a DNLA setting that allows me to share any directory within the NAS so any device can view those media files.

Xbox One and Xbox 360 (Media Room)
    --Both consoles are connected directly into the DLINK router via Ethernet.
    --I use the Media Player (Xbox One) to view any of my media files that I'm sharing from the NAS. I did use PLEX at one point but didnt like that I had to set up a computer to be the PLEX server. It worked great but 2nd PC being on and monthly fee turned me off from it.
    --I use the System Player (Xbox 360) to view any of my media files that I'm sharing from the NAS.

Xbox One (Living Room)
    --This unit is connected to the router via WiFi. So far, I havent seen much buffering while on WiFi like I used to with the Xbox 360. I guess because I use the 5.0 signal instead of the 2.5. Also use Media Player to see media files.

Every now and then, I'll have an issue with the consoles not reading a media file correctly. Usually it's a format issue. Once I convert the file to a different format, it's good to go. This is not all the time. I would say out of 100 files, probably less than 5 I'll have to convert.

Not sure if this helps you, but just gives you an idea of my set up and what I do with any files that cant be read by the consoles.
    Twitter: @TeknoBlast
    YouTube: TeknoBlast
    Mixer: TeknoBlast
    Discord Server: XboxOneForums Server

pwned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Heres what i do.

I have phone connected via wifi to netgear router and xbox one connected via wire to same router. I use screen share to share whatever is on my phone to my xbox. I also stream directly to xbox this way. Eg stream file to phone via showbox or the likes then screen share to xbox. No need to even use media player.

n00b
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TeknoBlast: I didn't realize Xbox came with a media player. But sounds like you still need to have a dlna server? You are just using the one that came with your NAS instead of your PC?

Soultrappa: yeah I guess I could do that with my tablet, if I can't find a more direct way.

Thanks to you both. Any other suggestions are welcome.

pwned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barty View Post
    TeknoBlast: I didn't realize Xbox came with a media player. But sounds like you still need to have a dlna server? You are just using the one that came with your NAS instead of your PC?

Soultrappa: yeah I guess I could do that with my tablet, if I can't find a more direct way.

Thanks to you both. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    What could be more direct other that streaming the file directly to xbox from video provider? The way i mentioned dont even need to download the movie. I guess thats no good for media already downloaded.

With the media player yes u need some type of dlna at the other end! Although dont wmp do that? U can send stuff to the box without server if u dont wanna list media.

Super Moderator
    is Watching You ;-)

Gamertag
    TH3 0V3RLORD
    Member #
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I still use plex as my server on the pc. If you use plex on the media player you don't have to pay the monthly fees. If you decide to run it through the plex app then you do have to pay. No idea why they just don't make it free seeing you can just use the server through the media player. It is a pain when you have to leave your pc on but I'm willing to put up with that for free streaming.

I would like the media player to have a better range of codecs as I sometimes get the same as Tekno when the MKV is not supported due to audio or something. The only way I get round that if its a big file and will take awhile to recode it is to run plex through my Blu Ray player. Seems to play everything so far.

n00b
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soultrappa View Post
    What could be more direct other that streaming the file directly to xbox from video provider? The way i mentioned dont even need to download the movie. I guess thats no good for media already downloaded.

With the media player yes u need some type of dlna at the other end! Although dont wmp do that? U can send stuff to the box without server if u dont wanna list media.
    I'm trying to play from my PC not from content provider

pwned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barty View Post
    I'm trying to play from my PC not from content provider
    In that case dont u always need the pc on? And then doesnt wmp act as a server?

Super Moderator
    is Gaming Addict

Gamertag
    TeknoBlast
    Member #
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    If you only want to stream from computer to Xbox One, this is possible without a NAS. This was discussed earlier. Here's the link:

Connect XboxOne to Windows 8.1 Media Player
    Twitter: @TeknoBlast
    YouTube: TeknoBlast
    Mixer: TeknoBlast
    Discord Server: XboxOneForums Server

n00b
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright thank you. I don't use WMP at all (I use MPC which is much more flexible and customizable) so wasn't thinking about it. I'll give this a shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links